Saturday 6 September 2014

National Read A Book Day

Today unlike National Book Lovers Day is about getting everyone reading it's more about those that don't read on a regular basis than bookworms like myself. Unfortunately many people are still under the illusion that books are boring. My advice is that you haven't found the right book for you yet. Maybe in school the books read as part of the curriculum weren't your cup of tea. Read what you like. If your into celebrity gossip and fashion magazines try something in your area of interest. For example if CSI is your thing a crime novel might be just what the doctor ordered.

Why bother I hear you ask when you could just watch a tv program about fashion or a crime drama?
Reading actually has lots of benefits. Just 15 minutes a day reduces your stress levels. Studies have also shown that mental stimulation such as reading or completing puzzles actually slows down the progression and maybe even prevents Alzheimer's and Dementia. Your brain is like any other muscle in your body it requires exercise to stay in tip top shape. Reading improves your memory. It also improves focus and concentration. In today's society most of us are scurrying to get five things done at once this causes stress levels to rise and lowers productivity. When we read all of our attention is focused on one thing instead of five, the story playing out in our head as we read the book.


Reading improves your vocabulary and writing skills. The more you read the more words you are exposed to. Inevitably your vocabulary improves. Reading a well written book will in turn improve and influence your own writing.

Books unlike your TV are a free source of entertainment. I'm not saying throw out your TV I myself enjoy watching a variety of shows and movies. I just try to keep a healthy balance. Books can be expensive (although I value books so much I would spend vast sums of money on books and not care) your local library is a great source for books especially if you don't want to end up like I fear I one day may become on an episode of Hoarders drowning in a sea of books. I regret nothing btw. Or if you like classics a lot of classics are free to download to your tablet via the Kindle App. I myself own a kindle but still prefer to buy real books. For me I like the whole experience of reading. The smell and feel of a book is much more appealing to me than the coldness of technology.


Usually 99% of the time the book is better than the movie. If like me you love movies and TV shows this may be a good place to start your reading journey.

Try some of these books that have been adapted for the big screen over the years...













Or if you liked HBOs True Blood you may enjoy The Sookie Stackhouse Series it started out fairly close to the books in the first season and then deviated from there on out so lots of surprises and characters that didn't even make it onto your television set.


If your a fan of the worlds greatest detective Sherlock Holmes you may like ....


If your a fan of CSI, Broad-church, Castle and similar program's you may like...




Whatever you choose make sure it's something you have an interest in. It's great to try new things but when you want to get into reading I think it's best to go with what you like not what you think you should be reading.

Happy National Read A Book Day!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment