Wednesday 17 September 2014

Graphic Novel #2 Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Emily Carroll is a 31 year old comic writer from Ontario. Up until now Emily's comics have mainly been published in anthologies. Through the Woods is her first book. She studied at and graduated from Sheridan Colleges Classical Animation Program. According to Emily,s website she lives with her wife Kelly Craig and their very large cat.

Through the Woods seemed to call out to me from it's display at my local Waterstones shop in Drogheda. The books cover made me think of Edward Gorey or Tim Burton.

They say never judge a book by it cover but I most definitely judged this one.  The book comprises of 5 beautifully haunting tales. The conclusion is absolutely brilliant. This is the first time I have ever had the pleasure of laying my eyes on Carroll's work and I will most certainly be back for more.

I must admit however that I did not find it in the least bit scary but to be honest almost 30 years of devouring everything supernatural has undoubtedly de-sensitised me. I did find it very enjoyable to read and I love her style and use of colour. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys all things Burtonesque.  



You can find out more about Emily and her work on her wonderfully creative website.

http://www.emcarroll.com




No comments:

Post a Comment